Compulsory prerequisites required (Propedeuticità) are published on the web site: https://lt-eco.unibg.it/it/node/119
The aim of the first part of the course is to introduce students to the study of population ranging from formal and applied demographic techniques to the analysis of current population trends and of their interrelationships with the economy.
At the end of the first part of the course, students will be able to
1. Explain the concept of "demographic transition”; 2. Describe the concept of life course analysis. 3. Estimate life tables and life expectancy. 4. Summarize contemporary debates on longevity and mortality and the future challenges faced by pension systems. 5. Explain the concept of gender equity and equality. 6. Describe international patterns of migration.
The aim of the second part of the course is to introduce students to the economics of health and health care and to the key elements that distinguish the health markets.
At the end of the second part of the course, the student will be able to:
1. Discuss the basic theoretical aspects to analyse health economics and the health market; 2. Describe the elements that distinguish health markets and, in particular, the Italian NHS. 3. Be aware of the main tools to analyse the efficiency and equity issues in the healthcare sector. 4. Be able to assess the relationships between the performance of the health systems and demographic trends and discuss the main policy implications.
The key themes of the course are:
1. introduction to health economics;
2. the demand for health insurance;
3. demographic trends, health expenditure and the major reforms of health systems;
4. the Italian NHS and the limits that have emerged during the pandemics;
5. an economic evaluation of health care
Face-to-face lectures, Exercises, Group assignments
Written exam (90%), short report (10%)
The module 86055-MOD2 (3 CFU) is part of the 9 CFU course. Only students with Module 1 (86055-MOD1 - 6 CFU) in their study plan can choose this module.